August 27, 2009

This past week I have begun my year-long intership with the University of Virginia Hospital Dental Department. I was fortunate enough to have been given a spot through the University Internships Program, which I highly reccomend to any UVA undergrad that is interested in dentistry. In addition to the 2 interns here, there are another 2 at the Charlottesville free clinic on the other side of town.
Thus far, I have been very pleased with the breadth of patients that I have been able to observe. Working at the hospital entails a lot of work with a huge spectrum of people with an even wider range of medical conditions. It seems as though there are a lot of cancer-compromised patients that lose salivary gland function and succomb to massive and widespread tooth decay, leading to extractions here in the department. If anything, this will build up my stomach for blood and guts over the next 8 months. More info to come, stay tuned folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment